A History of Growth and Stability
In 1948, National Business Supply Inc. (NBS) opened for business as an office supply and business machines distributor. The company was based in Mt Clemens, Michigan and grew to 18 employees. In 1976, NBS expanded the business to include contract office furnishings. As a part of this growth strategy the company became an authorized Steelcase distributor. In 1997, the founding family transitioned ownership of the business to two managers including current President/Owner Richard Schwabauer. During that first year of new ownership a decision was made to exit the office supplies and machines business and grow the interiors business from the Steelcase partnership established 21 years earlier.
With a committed leadership team and a core of experienced design professionals, NBS grew its sales internally. The company also made several acquisitions to further expand its product and service offerings. Today the organization is known as NBS Commercial Interiors with a focus on corporate, healthcare, education and emerging businesses. We operate in four Michigan and Ohio regions with over 180 team members.
- 1976: NBS expands business focus to include contract furnishings, becomes Steelcase distributor
- 2000: NBS acquires Plymouth Michigan-based Steelcase dealer, expands metro Detroit coverage
- 2001: Toledo Ohio Steelcase dealer acquired; NBS now serves markets across northern Ohio. Acquisition also adds floorcovering division and expands product and service offerings from NBS
- 2006: NBS acquires Bingham Farms Michigan Steelcase dealer, expanding coverage across southeast Michigan
- 2009: Lansing-based Steelcase distributor acquired; now with showrooms in Lansing and Bay City Michigan, NBS becomes leading Steelcase dealer serving northern Ohio through mid-Michigan
- 2009: Floor care services added with acquisition of commercial cleaning specialists; new cleaning and maintenance services help protect client investment in furnishings and floorcoverings
- 2010: Long established Michigan audiovisual service provider acquired by NBS; new AV offerings provide NBS clients with seamless integration of technology into workspaces
- 2014: Came together with Clawson, Michigan-based interior construction and design-build organization to further support our integrated architectural furniture and technology approach
NBS helps clients create an environment that support an organization’s mission. We believe space matters, and can be used to foster innovation, attract and retain employees and improve work processes. The result is a workspace that improves business performance.